Access to Capital
Hotel/Motel Accommodation Grant Program
Thank you for your interest in the City of Charlotte's Open for Business Access to Capital program. The Hotel/Motel Accommodation Grant Program will distribute $6 million in federal CARES Act funding to owners of hotels and motels located within the city limits of Charlotte.
The application is now closed
All businesses that meet the eligibility criteria and correctly submit their applications by the deadline will receive a grant award. Owners may apply for more than one property, but must submit separate applications for each.
Grants will be a fixed dollar allocation based on:
- City funding, which will be $6 million
- The total number of hotel rooms in the applicant pool
- The number of hotel rooms in the property receiving a grant
|If the City of Charlotte Hotel Allocation is:||$6,000,000|
|If 75 Properties apply with a combined total:||26,000 rooms|
|$6,000,000 ÷ 26,000 rooms =||$230.77 fixed dollar allocation per room|
|If your hotel has 50 rooms =||$11,538 grant award|
Please note: if a hotel has already received a grant through the City’s Small Business Recovery Grant Program, the amount of that grant will be deducted from the total dollars awarded through this program.
All businesses that meet the following criteria and correctly submit their applications by the October 18 deadline will receive a grant award.
- Applicant businesses must have a hotel/motel property located within the Charlotte City limits.
- Eligible hotel properties must have been in business prior to April 1, 2019 and have evidence of room bookings in 2019.
- Hotels must have experienced a 25% or greater year-over-year revenue loss, when comparing April - August 2019 to April - August 2020.
- Business must be registered with the NC Secretary of State.
- Any hotel ownership group located outside Charlotte must certify that grant dollars awarded through this program will only support the business operations of their Charlotte hotel properties.
- If applicant’s property is listed in CMPD’s Nuisance Abatement Program, then the City reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to decline to issue a grant to such Applicant following a review of calls for service to CMPD in connection with such property.
Owners may apply for more than one property, but must submit separate applications for each. Note: applicants will need to create separate accounts for each application, using different email addresses.
All applicants must upload and submit:
- A signed IRS Form W-9 (Rev. October 2018). Please consider watching this quick tutorial on completing your W-9.
- Ten months of “Room Occupancy Tax” forms previously filed with Mecklenburg County (view sample form). These forms will be compared to County tax filings and serve as validation of your revenue eligibility.
- In the absence of Room Occupancy Tax forms, applicants can submit digital confirmation of online filing (see sample).
- The following 10 months of forms are required:
- 5 months of filed forms from April - August 2019
- 5 months of filed forms from April - August 2020
Below are tips to help you be prepared to apply.
- Make sure to collect all the documents needed prior to starting the on-line application.
- Be ready with accurate room counts for every hotel you are applying for.
- Watch FFTC’s video on how to correctly complete your W-9 for fast city approval.
- Watch the webinar facilitated by the City of Charlotte and Foundation For The Carolinas, which provides information on how to apply and provide an opportunity to answer questions. Watch Recording.
Contact customer service at CLTCityGrant@fftc.org or call Sara Rae at 704.973.4519 with questions.
Si necesita asistencia, escriba a CLTCityGrant@fftc.org.
Une assistance sera disponible sur CLTCityGrant@fftc.org.
सहायता CLTCityGrant@fftc.org-मा उपलब्ध हुनेछ।
敬请联系 CLTCityGrant@fftc.org 寻求协助。
Trợ giup sẽ có tại CLTCityGrant@fftc.org.